Sunday 7 May 2017

The Bahamas SME Act
 Should be legislated within 100 Days

By Mark A. Turnquest, MBA

Date: May 6, 2017



After reviewing the manifestos of all major political parties it is expressed and implied that the Bahamas SME Act will be legislated within 5 years (2017-2022) by the new government. It is also indicated that SME Development Centres will be established sometime in the future. However, I stress that the Bahamas SME Act and SME Development Centres should be legislated and established within 100 days after the new parliamentary session has begun.  The SME Act must be one of the first legislations pass in the house because it is passed overdue and the entire country is suffering because of it not being enacted. This is evident because we have a high national debt and deficit and a low economic growth forecast. In addition, there are so many economic downgrades by international financial watchdogs.

After I had hosted the first Bahamas Small Business Summit in 2009, it was expected that a SME Act would have been legislated and a SME Development Agency, to oversee it, would be established within a few years. However, It is amazing that 10 years after the small business summit such an important legislation was not enacted a long time ago because government and private sectors policy makers always tout the philosophy that small businesses are driving forces of countries and should demand full national support and commitment.
The SME Act will foster inter-government ministries/departments synergy (BAIC, BDB, BEVF and Business License. etc.). In addition, it will increase intra-stakeholders synergy (BCCEC, IICA, IDB, OCED, ILO, WTO etc.). The SME Act will increase the GDP and the entrepreneurial spirit of Bahamians; and reduce the unemployment level, national debt, national deficit and most importantly the high crime level. The SME Act will encompass a sustainable National Family Island Development Plan.

Failure to legislate the SME Act in 100 days will cause The Bahamas to lose its economic and cultural creativity in comparison to our Caribbean neighbors and the World in the following important categories: Ease of Doing Business, Starting a Business, Sovereign Credit Rating and the Human Resource Index.
For an expanded version of this article contact Mark A. Turnquest MBA, at Tell: 326-6748 / 4273640; email: markaturnquest@gmail.com or website www.markturnquestconsulting.com.


3 comments:

  1. My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tithonic bolts - Titanium Arbing - Titanium Arb - Titanium-arts.com
    Tithonic bolts are high quality brass oxide. These oakley titanium glasses high quality pieces of brass will give you solo titanium razor a ford fusion titanium great titanium nail experience babylisspro nano titanium spring curling iron at all of Tithonic bars.

    ReplyDelete